You will find that the prune juice effects are very effective, and the delicious fruit juice packs a powerful punch of nutrients and vitamins.
Constipation is not always a serious problem, especially for the first day or two. It makes things difficult when you sit on the toilet, but it’s nothing to worry about just yet. However, if it lasts more than a few days, that is when you need to start worrying. Rather than letting constipation get the best of you, use prune juice to clear it right up!
What Causes Constipation
But what causes constipation in the first place? How does the stuff going through your intestines get so dried out that the body simply can’t push it out the waste disposal system? Here are some of the most common causes of constipation:
• Emotional Disorders – Both anxiety and depression are known to cause constipation, as they tend to mess with the inner workings of the body. Emotional disorders are often chemical or hormonal in nature, and they can cause many problems along with the constipation.
• Incorrect Weight – Being too heavy may mean that you are not getting the right foods, and constipation can be the result. However, being very underweight is another common cause of constipation, so be wary if you are very far below your recommended weight.
• Low Fiber Diet – Everyone knows that fiber is essential for the digestive tract to work well, but what happens if you don’t get enough fiber in your diet? That’s right, you get constipation, and adding a bit of fiber to your diet is what will help you to get rid of the problem.
• Little Activity – If you are not an active person, your body may not be able to expel the waste materials due to the simple fact that your intestinal muscles aren’t working as well as they should.
• Lifestyle Changes – There are many people around the world that get constipation when they change certain habits, such as eating habits, work routines, etc. This is often caused by anxiety.
• Lack of Privacy – As with any condition, there are often mental reasons why constipation sets in. Some people are unable to use the bathroom in public places, and the lack of privacy is often the cause of constipation,
• Too Few Fluids – Fluids are needed by your body to keep everything functioning well, but not getting enough water or fluid in your day is often the reason that you get constipation. Your body has to hold on to the water that it has, and it absorbs more water than is necessary from the food going through your intestines.
• Ignoring the Need – If you feel the need to use the bathroom, don’t ignore it. Ignoring your urge to use the bathroom is often the cause of constipation, so listen to your body when it says “Potty time!”
• Medications – Most medications contain lots of chemicals that your body can’t handle, and they alter the delicate internal balance in your body. While some medications cause diarrhea, a large number of them cause constipation.
• Pregnancy – Pregnancy can often be the cause of the constipation, as the growing child is pressing on the belly of the mother and thereby affecting her digestive system.
• Intestinal Disorders – There are a number of intestinal disorders that can be directly linked to constipation, such as colon cancer, IBS, anal fissures, inflammatory bowel disease, and more.
These are the most common causes, though some mental conditions, trauma, and other problems have also been known to cause constipation.
Prune Juice for Constipation
So now you know what causes constipation, but how does prune juice work for constipation? The secret to the prune juice: its high fiber content together with laxative elements, that works by relaxing the sphincter muscles.
Prunes are one of the best sources of dietary fiber, which your body needs to process all of the foods going through the intestines. Imagine that your stomach and intestines are like the engine of a car, and the fiber in your diet is like the grease that makes it possible for the engine to run. Prunes are loaded down with this grease (fiber) needed to keep your engine (digestive system) running smoothly, so eating prunes and drinking lots of prune juice is a great way to get rid of your constipation.
When you drink prune juice, you are basically lubricating your digestive system and making it easier for your intestines to shove the waste out the garbage disposal system. Fiber also makes sure that the body isn’t retaining water, and it sucks the water and pulls it into the waste material that your body is trying to get rid of.
In addition to the fiber, prune juice is very rich in potassium, a nutrient that the body needs to activate the various enzymes that are floating around in your intestines. These enzymes are actually responsible for the flexing of the muscles that pushes the waste material out the rectum, and getting lots of potassium ensures that the muscles are strong and able to work well.
You will also find that prune juice works like a laxative, which helps to relax the sphincter muscles. This includes the sphincter muscles between the stomach and intestines and the sphincter muscles of the rectum. Some people find that they tense their rectum a lot, and this prevents the waste material from coming out. By relaxing that muscle, it makes it much easier for the waste material to glide smoothly out.
Prune Juice Use Tips
Prunes can be eaten raw, but it is always so much more enjoyable to sit back in your chair and drink a nice cold glass of prune juice. If you want to get the most out of the prune juice that you are drinking, here are a few things to keep in mind:
• Drink it while it is in its natural form. Try and avoid any prune juices that are sweetened or pasteurized, but consider blending or juicing prunes to make healthy, all natural fruit juice that will be very effective.
• Don’t drink a lot of it right away, as it can act very quickly and flush out your system too fast. Start drinking just a glass or two a day at first, and slowly work your way up to higher amounts in order to avoid digestive problems.
• Be wary when buying prune juice from the store. Avoid juices that have sugar or preservatives, as they will simply add to the toxins in your body. Try and find 100% natural prune juice, or make it at home.
Drinking prune juice for constipation can be effective, and it can be very tasty if you drink it nice and cold!
The Other Benefits of Prune Juice
Constipation isn’t the only thing that prune juice is great for, but you will find that there are many benefits of this amazing fruit aside from prune juice for constipation. What are the benefits?
• Beta-Carotene – Beta-carotene is a kind of Vitamin A that your body needs to work well, and prune juice has a lot of it. It helps to prevent your arteries from being blocked, destroys free radicals and reduces the chance of your getting heart disorders.
• Antioxidants – As you probably know, antioxidants are like the Justice League of nutrients needed by your body. All antioxidants help to prevent the body’s cells from degenerating, but every antioxidant has a different purpose. Prune juice contains phenol, which helps to block free radicals from causing aging. Prunes actually contain more antioxidants than blueberries, which are considered one of the top superfoods.
• Appetite Suppressant – Did you know that prune juice can help to keep you from feeling hungry all the time? This is because it is rich in fiber, and fiber helps to fill your stomach and make you feel less full. If you are trying to lose weight, you may want to consider using prune juice to make your weight loss efforts more effective.
• Blood Sugar Control – For those with diabetes, prune juice is an excellent choice due to its ability to help stabilize the levels of sugar in your blood. The food is digested much more quickly thanks to the soluble fibers in prunes, thus ensuring that the sugar is slowly released into the bloodstream.
Cautions for Drinking Prune Juice
Prune juice can be very effective, and you can get all these other awesome benefits from drinking prune juice. However, it is important that you understand that prune juice should be imbibed with caution, as it can have some very strong negative side effects if you drink too much all at once.
One of the main warnings is that too much prune juice can be a strong laxative, and this could cause problems with your digestive system. Remember that a laxative helps to relax your muscles, which means that the feces can pass more freely. However, drinking too much prune juice may cause your muscles to relax too much, which can lead to you losing control over your bowels.
Another thing to remember is that prunes are very high in potassium, and getting too much potassium can cause problems. As with all minerals, controlling potassium levels is very important, as too much potassium can cause an irregular heartbeat or some mild nausea.
In addition, too much fiber in your diet can cause you to get diarrhea. While some diarrhea can be healthy for you (it flushes all the junk out of your system), uncontrolled diarrhea can be serious and potentially fatal if left untreated. When you have diarrhea, your body flushes liquids out of your body along with the waste, and it can lead to serious dehydration.
It is important that you remember to consume prune juice for constipation and its other effects with caution, as you don’t want to cause problems. The recommended amount is roughly 120 milliliters per day, but that may change according to your body size and digestive needs. Just make sure to monitor the effect it is having, and stop drinking it if things get out of control.
Other Constipation Remedies
There are a few remedies other than prune juice, and you may find that these alternative remedies can help you to get rid of your digestive problems once and for all:
• Probiotics are little bacteria that are just like the ones in your digestive system, and consuming some probiotics can help you to restore a healthy balance to the intestinal bacteria that are responsible for digestion.
• Drinking more fluids will often be enough to help clear up the problem, unless you have some intestinal condition or an emotional or mental disorder is causing the constipation.
• Soluble fiber can be found in all fruits and vegetables, so cutting back on meats and carbohydrates in favor of raw foods can help you to clear up the problem quickly.
• Laxatives will help to relax your intestinal muscles, thus helping you to eliminate the wastes much more easily.
• Acupressure can actually have quite a powerful effect on curing all kinds of ailments, including digestive disorders like constipation.
These are a few other remedies, but you will find that nothing beats prune juice.
If you want to help your digestive system work easier, fill your system with awesome nutrients, and improve your overall health, prunes and prune juice is a great way to go.
Go to the top of this page, Prune Juice for Constipation
Want to learn more? Check out the other great and informative pages on this site: Juice cleanse, Juicing Recipes, Lemon Juice Diet, Juice cleanse, Cactus Juice and Prickly Pear Juice and Aloe Vera Juice Benefits.